Discover Why She Drives

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, women make up 47% of the U.S. workforce, but only 6% of American truckers. With the American Transportation Research Institute reporting a shortage of approximately 50,000 drivers - why are there not more women truck drivers?

Img 1039

Mona Chisum, an experienced driver for TP Trucking, shared her insights:

“I've driven most [types] of trucks including log trucks, dump trucks, belly dumps, flatbeds, and all vans. Working in a male-dominant profession there will be times you'll be scoffed and sneered at, or hear someone say, ‘Here little lady, let me do that for you.’ But if you politely thank them for the offer and calmly do the task, you'll gain a lot of respect and pride in your accomplishments. Swearing like a sailor or giving rude hand gestures will only bring about low opinions by your fellow drivers. My mom always said, ‘Act like a lady and you'll be treated like one,’ and 99% of the time she is right. For the other 1%, just ignore them.”

Tips for Women Interested in Trucking Jobs

  • Choose a CDL school with a mix of men and women on staff.
  • Ask for on-the-road training with a female trainer.
  • Advocate for a vehicle package that includes features that are important to you to be successful.

Mona Chisum also recommends taking the time to learn all aspects of the job: loading, unloading, city driving, night driving, and inclement weather driving. Her top tip: practice difficult backing. “Choose a truck stop in the middle of the day and practice blind side backing in 2 or 3 spots. Someday, you may have to do this and all the practice will come in handy. The more you do, the more confident you'll be, thus the more you'll enjoy your job.”

Chisum, a truck driver for more than 27 years, takes the time to help other drivers whenever possible. “I've learned a lot by helping other drivers, little pieces of information that came in handy down the road,” she said.

Organizations such as the Women in Trucking Association and Real Women in Trucking offer resources for women interested in CDL jobs. Chisum highly recommends truck driving as a career.

“Very few professions offer the opportunity to see so much of our great nation and get paid to do it,” she said. “I can't imagine doing anything else.”

Related Blog Posts

  • Insidethetruck
    Safety Tips for Those Who Spend Their Time on the Road

    Trucking is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 918 truck drivers suffered a fatal injury while on the job—a higher number of fatalities than any other occupation.

    Read More
  • Tp trucking comfort-blog
    TP Trucking Equipment Attracts Drivers with Well-Maintained Comfort

    Attracting and retaining qualified drivers in a market short on applicants means that trucking companies have to put their drivers’ well-being first. For TP Trucking, that means using top of the line vehicles, maxed out with amenities and keeping these vehicles running in peak condition.

    Read More
  • Finloqbt9ivigltkeesq truck
    Stay Healthy on the Road with These Handy Tips

    Staying healthy on the road is just as important as driving safely. If you want a long and successful career (and life!), eating healthy and living a healthy lifestyle needs to be a priority on the road.

    Read More
  • Eld
    Now in Effect, ELD Mandate Means Changes for Some Truckers

    With the aim of keeping long-haul truckers safer, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has implemented a rule mandating all commercial vehicle drivers, who are required to comply with Hours of Service (HOS) record-keeping requirements, use an electronic logging device (ELD).

    Read More

Comments